Which feature do you miss most?

Tuesday 15 June 2010

One-Shot (15/06/10)

Originally, I started this post off with the title "One-Shot (15/06/10) - Farewell Mach 1 One-Shot There Will Be Tears Mondo Deluxe Edition Collector's Edition." Make of that what you will. Then, I realized I couldn't in good conscience write about the subject I wanted to write about and give it that title. It wouldn't convey the right tone.

Then I reconsidered.

Kinda.

If I treat a very serious subject very seriously there's a good chance - a very good chance - you'll read it and feel the desired "serious" emotions (guilt/sympathy/etc) and that resonance will last for a short space of time. If I include that poor joke and you read it before I get to something truly heartbreaking, my hope is that the juxtaposition will make the impact all the greater. And it needs to be greater. Why? That's why.

Whatever your politics or background, I hope we can all agree this is a truly harrowing event made more harrowing by the fact that only now, 38 years after the murder - yes, murder - of innocent people in Derry, an apology has been made.

While appreciated, an apology can't bring those victims back to life. Or any of the other innocents killed, traumatized, or disadvantaged in some way by despicable individuals not just on Irish soil, but across the globe.

Congratulations to those who were vindicated today. And full marks to Cameron for having the nerve to make an apology of that magnitude on behalf of other, lesser men... who couldn't even admit to their own wrongdoing and apologize for themselves.

By the way, if you don't find the idea of the term "justified killing" problematic in and of itself, you're reading the wrong blog.

No comments: