Which feature do you miss most?

Tuesday 24 March 2009

One-Shot (24/03/09)

The fancying of Jenny Owen Youngs by me is unsurprising. She's even snugger alongside Laura Veirs, Joanna Newsom, and Allison Weiss on "Ian's Sexiest Alternative Lady List"* than the average tee shirt at a Foals gig. There's the nautical imagery (sample EP title Led to the Sea), the thrift shop aesthetic (on both the art and image front), and Guardian-friendly post-post modernism (intentional mispellings ahoy.) And how could I forget the adorable, milky waif backing it all up? With my head up my ass, presumably, cos Youngs is notably, effortlessly gorgeous.

I'm reserving final judgment until a representative body of work has been sampled, though what I've heard is decent. As with so many "lo-fi" artists, decency may just be the problem. If I want decent, I'll listen to current Foo Fighters. If I want Foo Fighters, I'll listen to everything up to and including There Is Nothing Left to Lose. However, I'm hoping that a song like "Fuck Was I" is proof I've judged Youngs's decency a little too quickly and not pandering to the Top Shop set.

* An adjunct of the oft-promised, still happening overall Sexiest List.

No comments: